Thursday, 16 September 2021

CT Scrapkit Tutorial - Ladyhawwk Design - Autumn Variations

 


I love Ladyhawwk's CDO kits and it's always a pleasure to tag with them but I was enjoying making this tag so thought I'd tut-along in case you'd like to make your own version/s

I made 4 tags in total - 





Tutting as per this kit from CDO - ScrapLHD_IB-AlessiaC-September2021 which has been designed to compliment a lovely new tube by Alessia C.  However, I have chosen to use some different CDO tubes from my Jasmine Becket Griffth collection which I love or you may even find - like me - that I made a version with ONLY the beautiful kit!


This kit above is the one that I am referring to throughout the tut so if you use a different one then adjust your sizing and placements as you need

Firstly - take the pressure off choosing a tube!
For starters we are going to assemble our scrap tag and plenty of details
before we add the tube

Your tube can come later but if you already know which one you'd like to use - use that :)

Tube

Mask of Choice - I'm using one of my faves by Tee Mizteeques Masks
Number 349

VM Distortion - Ripple Mosaic
HSB Noise from Eye Candy 4
Gradient Glow from Eye Candy 4
Available from your usual filter software sites I'm sure
All are Optional - just to add some jazz to the mask layer but it'll barely be visible later
in the tag so not to worry if you don't have/don't want to use

Experience Level - Novice to Intermediate
(You'll need to be happy working with selections, applying filters, using your own shadow/s and have level placement savvy rather than me repeatedly telling you when to move something up and down the Layer Palette - though knowing me, I probably will lol!)

We are working big again once more, I have found this works really well for me being able to see the whole tag in action - it also means one crop resize at the end rather than repeated adjustments throughout and kits are large these days which I love and means I can see where I want to go with a tag.
Love that!


Open a New Image in PSP - really big
We're starting at 900 pixels wide by 1000 pixels high at 72 dpi resolution

Add a Raster Layer, 
floodfill White
then
Go to Materials, Gradients, 
Foreground/Background Sunburst
with two colours of choice
and floodfill a Raster Layer above it


Now - go to your kit
Open the Frame called Frame 3
C&P as a new Layer

Take your Magic Wand
Click inside the circle area
Selections, Modify, Expand by 4

Keep Selected
Add a New Layer below the Frame in the Layer Palette (LP) and
Go to 3D Effects, Cutout and apply these settings


Rename this layer FRAME CUTOUT layer (for ease of placement later)

Keep Selected

Open the Paper 4 - C& P

Move into position so the edge flowers are within the bottom left of the circle area

Selection, Promote Selection to Layer

Keep Selected

Move the paper (original layer)

and place another section to be highlighted within the area of selection

Selection, Promote Selection to Layer

and move it up the Layer Palette

then activate the floodfilled gradient 

and repeat the Promoted layer step

Finally for this step - 

Selections, Load/Save Selection, Save Selection to Alpha Channel

Selections None


So on the top layer of the paper selections

Change the Blend Mode to Overlay

Purty!


Go to the Floodill Gradient Layer at the bottom of the LP
Apply Miz_Mask348
Merge Group
Move the Mask layer UP the LP so you can see it
Move the mask layer over to the left side of the tag canvas

Duplicate

Move over to the right side

Move both of these mask layers down below the rest
of the layers in the LP so they're just above the White Back
Merge them together and

then Duplicate the Mask Layer


on the top layer - 

Apply HSB Noise on this setting - 

then add Adjust, Brightness/Contrast on this setting - 


and then finally (OPTIONAL)
Add VM Distortion - Mosaic Ripple on this setting - 


You may just prefer to apply one or none of these effects - it's up to you :)

On we go...


Ele 22 - Clock - C&P - Place below the FRAME CUTOUT layer in the LP
Paste again and place as mine above the frame
Ele 4 - Moth/Butterfly - Place as mine above the FC layer
Resize that layer by 75%
Ele5 - Flower Cluster - Place as mine below the FC layer
Paste again and
Move down the LP to above the FRAME CUTOUT layer
Ele7 - Pears in the Basket
Place as mine
Ele 21 - Autumn Arrangement
Place as mine below the FC layer
Ele 23 - Dried Sunflowers - Place as mine over on the right and below the selection fills
Ele 13 - Tree - Place as mine above the mask layers
Ele 29 - Wheelbarrow of Autumn - Paste and place as mine

So then - that's the placement of the lovely elements and pretty much everything.
Now to shadow - add shadows as you'd like paying attention to where the "light" source is
coming from.  So look at the pears.  They're shadowing underneath.
Add a similar shadow to the standout layers
For the wheelbarrow, I 
took my Paintbrush tool, hit the Presets menu, clicked the Arrow to restore the default setting
so it's rounded and about size 30 ish
then using colour #5a5a5a
on a NEW Raster layer below the element layer
I roughly drew out a complimentary "shadow" on the new layer - adjust your size if needed
and basically make a shadow area mimicking the general shape of the element above it.
I then adjusted, blurred by 5 or more if needed and dropped the opacity to about 55 or thereabouts!

Then gradually applied less shadow to the layers closer using the usual drop shadow method
to the "back" of the tag (i.e. much smaller -  if any - shadow to the back elements/the frame layer and absolutely none to the mask layer)
Happy?
On we go!

Image, Resize
So, Choose your own resizing as liked by I went for Resize by Image Percentage and chose 60% at Bicubic with Sharpness and All Layers Checked which resulted in a 540 x 600 sized tag - Smashing!

Ooooh! - Don't forget to then do a CROP to Size as well in case any of the paper is remaining around the outside of your tag area - it was on mine and left a fine "line" edge on two bits of my tag! Grrrrr! LOL!
Get to the more "taggy" size you'd like then

either simply add your name and a phrase of your choosing in a font and style
to suit and BOOM!  Looking good!

OR

Add a Tube - 
If you're using a tube?
C&P to size, place both above and below the Frame and Cutout Layer
and on the bottom tube layer -  add this shadow

Then using your Selection area that we saved before, erase the necessary parts of the
bottom tube layer and
then Using your eraser tool - erase any parts of the top tube layer 
to get the effect you'd like

(I've explained how to do this in many of my previous tutorials so look back through
them for eraser settings and tips if needed)

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You may like to do what I did in my 2nd version and just have the "tube in the frame"
Very effective with the Frame and Cutout layer
If so, just add your tube below those layers and erase any as necessary.
Lookin' good :)

That's pretty much it as far as the tag creation goes - 

Adjust any elements if needed to suit your tube - for my 2nd tag I changed out
one of the floral clusters that suited my 2nd tag better...that's the joy of tags in layers.
You can keep adjusting and changing to get it just how you'd like it
Perfect for an uptight just right like me! :D

NOW - add your name somewhere prominent - these are signature tags, remember :)
Place it where it compliments the artwork and scraps but also where it can be
clearly seen. Make it pop by adding effects and really taking time to make the name part of the tag
I remember a few years ago, someone was erasing other people's names
and adding their own and passing them off...
yikes I know, but it happens so clearly add your name in a place where it'd be hard to remove 
and yet still adds to the overall tag

Add your Artist Tube © and licencing info if needed and your taggers mark

Delete the White Background

Save the overall image with layers complete as PSPImage and Make a Shift +D PNG version
for your tag

Ta and may I add Daaaaaaaaa!

Arf.

Well, that was fun, I enjoyed writing that one - 

Anyhoo - thank you very much for doing this tutorial and I hope you learned something that you can incorporate into future freestyle tag making :)

With hugs and best wishes, 
Happy Tagging!
Vix x

No comments:

Post a Comment